Concerns over identity theft continue to grow, especially with the news of data breaches at major companies and financial institutions. Unfortunately, you have little control over when a company is hacked, but you do have control over your own actions.
- Social Security Card – A Social Security card may be used to open credit card accounts and take out loans. Taking it out where it might be stolen is tantamount to handing the keys to the kingdom to a thief. As for seniors, while Social Security numbers have been removed from Medicare cards, your Medicare Beneficiary Identifier number is also worth shielding.
- Multiple Credit Cards – Carry a single card for general use and emergencies. Only carry another card if you plan on using it that day. Keeping all those cards at home will save you considerable time in reporting lost cards and disputing charges should your purse or wallet get stolen.
- Gift Cards and Certificates – They’re like cash. Keep them home until you’re ready to use them.
- Spare Keys – Your wallet or purse contains your home address. No sense making the theft worse by endangering your home and family.
- USB Drive – Very convenient for carrying important files, but it’s gone forever if your wallet or purse is lost or stolen.
- Password Cheat Sheet – Carrying passwords makes it possible for them to fall into the wrong hands. Don’t carry your cheat sheet? How about those ATM PINs? That’s a sure way to lose cash fast.
- Checks – Carrying around a blank check is an obvious risk. Even a canceled check is a risk, since it has your routing and account numbers, which may be used to transfer cash.
- Receipts – Besides being bulky, they will contain the last five numbers of your credit card. A thief might be able to “phish” to find the rest of these numbers.
- Passport – A thief could use this to travel under your name, open bank accounts, or even get a Social Security card. Not good.
- Business Cards – Consider a separate case and carry them in your pocket. Do you really want a thief to know where you work?
The content is developed from sources believed to be providing accurate information. The information in this material is not intended as tax or legal advice. It may not be used for the purpose of avoiding any federal tax penalties. Please consult legal or tax professionals for specific information regarding your individual situation. This material was developed and produced by FMG Suite to provide information on a topic that may be of interest. FMG Suite is not affiliated with the named broker-dealer, state- or SEC-registered investment advisory firm. The opinions expressed and material provided are for general information, and should not be considered a solicitation for the purchase or sale of any security. Copyright 2023 FMG Suite. 6132404.1
15099 SE McLoughlin Boulevard Milwaukie, OR 97267 6, 7, 63, 65
Check the background of your financial professional on FINRA’s BrokerCheck.
The content is developed from sources believed to be providing accurate information. The information in this material is not intended as tax or legal advice. Please consult legal or tax professionals for specific information regarding your individual situation. Some of this material was developed and produced by FMG Suite to provide information on a topic that may be of interest. FMG Suite is not affiliated with the named representative, broker – dealer, state – or SEC – registered investment advisory firm. The opinions expressed and material provided are for general information, and should not be considered a solicitation for the purchase or sale of any security.
We take protecting your data and privacy very seriously. As of January 1, 2020 the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) suggests the following link as an extra measure to safeguard your data: Do not sell my personal information.
Copyright 2023 FMG Suite.
Non-deposit investment products and services are offered through CUSO Financial Services, LP (“CUSO Financial”) (“CFS”), a registered broker-dealer (Member FINRA/SIPC) and SEC Registered Investment Advisor. Products offered through CFS: are not NCUA/NCUSIF or otherwise federally insured, are not guarantees or obligations of the credit union, and may involve investment risk including possible loss of principal. Investment Representatives are registered through CFS. The Credit Union has contracted with CFS to make non-deposit investment products and services available to credit union members. Atria Wealth Solutions, Inc. (“Atria”) is not a broker-dealer or Registered Investment Advisor and does not provide investment advice. CFS is a subsidiary of Atria.Financial Advisors are registered to conduct securities business and licensed to conduct insurance business in limited states. Response to, or contact with, residents of other states will be made only upon compliance with applicable licensing and registration requirements. The information in this website is for U.S. residents only and does not constitute an offer to sell, or a solicitation of an offer to purchase brokerage services to persons outside of the United States.CFS representatives do not provide tax or legal guidance. For such guidance please consult with a qualified professional. Information shown is for general illustration purposes and does not predict or depict the performance of any investment or strategy. Past performance does not guarantee future results.
IMPORTANT: The projections and calculations generated by this calculator regarding the likelihood of investment outcomes are hypothetical in nature, do not reflect actual investment results, and are not guarantees of future results. Your results may vary with each use and over time.